Upgrade Zorin OS
Download the New Copy of Zorin OS
If you haven't already downloaded your new copy of Zorin OS, you will need to get it from the Download page to proceed. It is recommended to download Zorin OS using the latest version of Google Chrome or Firefox, without any third-party download managers in order to avoid file corruption.
We would recommend you to check the System Requirements to make sure you're installing the right edition of Zorin OS for your computer.
Back Up your Data
Make sure to back up your important data and files to an external hard drive or cloud storage service. After upgrading Zorin OS, you will be able to copy this data to your new installation.
Verify your Download
It is an important, but optional step to verify that your new copy of Zorin OS has been downloaded fully and correctly. By verifying that the checksum of your downloaded file matches the correct one, you can be sure that your copy of Zorin OS is not corrupted.
You will need an app called "QuickHash" to verify the checksum.
- Open the file browser to find the downloaded .zip file beginning with "QuickHash" in the Downloads folder.
- Extract the contents of this .zip file and open its folder.
- Double click on the appropriate executable file to open the app.
On Windows or Linux:Open the executable with "x64" in its name if your computer is 64 bit compatible.
Otherwise, open the executable with "x86" in its name.
- Navigate to the "Files" tab and select the radio button titled "SHA256" in the "Hash Algorithm" pane on the left.
- Click "Select File" and navigate to your Downloads folder to select your copy of Zorin OS. The verification should begin automatically. Please note that this process may take a few minutes.
- Once complete, the checksum should appear in the box underneath the file name.
If the generated checksum matches the one for your download file of Zorin OS, you may proceed to the next step.
|Zorin OS 12.3 Core 64 bit||d6910c0d22c468002723fb0ae7caf212be01ee23e47873f921b981efa80ba094|
|Zorin OS 12.3 Core 32 bit||34116c0e726e0982a694a233a22598e50b76d6639a1c843e856ff34360c0aeb8|
|Zorin OS 12.3 Ultimate 64 bit||b003667bb8d0879d162363cc4065805523c28140752c85831406c32731f031b8|
|Zorin OS 12.3 Ultimate 32 bit||af5899ad5d260d0b28ffd0699cf0f7c3259341bd4b5c789da957793497005487|
|Zorin OS 12.3 Business 64 bit||53f555304716b27aef0f8392da43a0071bbb140eb5499083a5b240a02c6ff5e5|
|Zorin OS 12.3 Business 32 bit||9034f1fe6996c3bf3e1507d619fbb6fcc029eb85f8e0467ddcdb0527f6407015|
|Zorin OS 12.3 Education 64 bit||6cafab98b6c84bbd5ac1301d72a5d27a93a529886ddfdb1f1e765182864faeea|
|Zorin OS 12.3 Education 32 bit||3723710029d2a417b02af5acafdc2cf6cfc79f329914aab961f7602d803b723a|
|Zorin OS 12.3 Lite 64 bit||29d8aaf040a7d9eeb15b416ad425efc36cc3e28e993a470edf1e71249cfba683|
|Zorin OS 12.3 Lite 32 bit||426974c3bdf6b6764f59c59a651b2be29d8c86348a04c73014bb2ea4b21719f3|
|Zorin OS 12.3 Lite Ultimate 64 bit||84ad1f2a7ecac7ffa4e737a1149fb993e05b2c737e7a78dc19acf30bc3b62bc0|
|Zorin OS 12.3 Lite Ultimate 32 bit||bfc81b1c33d35629180b3b0acff5de4908fb107945b8bcb1a93043b6a9fb400a|
|Zorin OS 12.3 Lite Business 64 bit||2d0d84b1c67bcab96a3655205557c370eb491709dcd2e54ae8052746305ac98a|
|Zorin OS 12.3 Lite Business 32 bit||6d66167cccedc836e499816316a1a09b9e187820b19e5de24da9b08de6f14794|
|Zorin OS 12.3 Lite Education 64 bit||516ff4ce84dcacce2e420b46a25ab55b5087f33b0565fc4d3c9aff47912f5c3f|
|Zorin OS 12.3 Lite Education 32 bit||b76a2a305a070ce6e8b4a1e221a9ba0975ebec0dcc22b30f1b02336801e5f3dd|
If the generated checksum does not match the correct one above, your file has likely been corrupted during the download process. Please try downloading your copy of Zorin OS again.
Create an Install Drive
To create an install drive of Zorin OS, you will need a USB drive and an app called "Etcher".
Zorin OS 12 UltimateYou will need a USB drive with a capacity of at least 8 GB.
Zorin OS 12 Business or EducationYou will need a USB drive with a capacity of at least 3 GB.
Zorin OS 12 CoreYou will need a USB drive with a capacity of at least 2 GB.
- Insert the USB drive into your computer.
- Open Etcher and press "Select image" to your downloaded Zorin OS ".iso" file.
- Etcher should automatically select your USB drive, but make sure that it has selected the correct drive.
- Press "Flash!" to begin writing Zorin OS to the USB drive.
- After a few minutes, the USB drive will be ready for booting into Zorin OS.
Boot from the Install Drive
In order to upgrade Zorin OS, you must boot your computer from the USB install drive.
- Make sure that the written USB install drive is plugged into your computer.
- Switch the computer on.
On a PC:Immediately upon startup, press the indicated key repeatedly to open the Boot Menu. If you are unsure about which key to press, it is usually either Esc, F12 or another function key. From the Boot Menu, select the option with "USB" in its title to boot the install drive.
On a Mac:After you hear the startup chime, press and hold the Option key. Now, select the USB install drive as the boot drive. Sometimes the install drive might be incorrectly identified as "Windows", which is normal.
- After a moment, you should see the Zorin OS welcome screen. Please select the option to "Try Zorin OS Before Installing".
Prepare your Hard Drive Partition
To upgrade your Zorin OS installation, you must free the space on your hard drive which is currently reserved for your current installation of Zorin OS.
- As soon as you reach the new Zorin OS desktop, open the partitioning app by clicking on the Zorin Menu and going to "System Tools" > "GParted".
- In the partition list, right click on the "linux-swap" partition and select "Swapoff".
- Right click again on the "linux-swap" partition and select "Delete".
- Your current installation of Zorin OS should be present on an "ext4" partition. Right click on it and select to "Delete" it as well.
- Press the button at the top of the app to apply these changes.
Install your New Copy of Zorin OS
Complete the installation of your new copy of Zorin OS.
- Connect to the Internet (if possible) in order to make sure all necessary software is downloaded during the installation process.
- Double click on the desktop icon titled "Install Zorin OS" and follow the on-screen instructions.
- You should reach a step titled "Installation type".
If you have another operating system installed on your computer (dual boot):Select the "Install Zorin alongside [your other operating system]" option and press "Next" to choose how much space to allocate to Zorin OS.
If you only have Zorin OS installed on your computer:Select the "Erase disk and install Zorin" option and press "Install Now".
- Continue following the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
Copy your Data to the New Installation of Zorin OS
After restarting into your new installation of Zorin OS, you may now copy the data from your previous installation of Zorin OS. Transfer the files you saved to your external hard drive or cloud storage service onto your new installation.